Officials said the Maoist cadre led by elusive Naxal commander Hidma and his PLGA battalion no 1 could be behind the deadly attack
Security personnel inspect the site of an IED blast where nine CRPF personnel were killed and two more were injured after Maoists ambushed them in Kistaram area of Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district on Tuesday.
Raipur/New Delhi: Nine CRPF personnel were on Tuesday killed after Maoists blasted their mine protected vehicle using over 50kg of explosives in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma, about a year after a dozen jawans were killed in a similar ambush in the district.
Officials said the incident took place around 12.30pm along the 5km under-construction Kistaram-Palodi road when the troops of the 212th battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) were out for an operation.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh said the incident was “deeply distressing” and asked CRPF Director General R R Bhatnagar to rush to Chhattisgarh.
“My heartfelt condolences to the families of those personnel who lost their lives in Sukma blast. I pray for the speedy recovery of the injured jawans,” he said.
The home minister spoke to Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh who briefed him about the incident, steps taken for the jawans’ treatment and operations to nab those involved.
The armoured MPV flew about 3m into the air and crashed on to the ground before splitting into pieces. All the personnel were killed due to the impact of the blast even as many were thrown out of the vehicle, officials said.
“The troops who came under attack were travelling in the MPV and going towards a newly-opened post in Palodi. Naxals were first spotted in the area around 8am and the CoBRA teams effectively retaliated and broke the ambush.
“However, when a convoy of motorcycles and 2 MPVs were crossing the area in the noon, the second mine protected vehicle got caught in the blast,” Bhatnagar told PTI in Delhi.
He had returned from the state only this morning after conducting an official tour.
When asked why MPVs were being used despite their vulnerability in Naxal areas, the DG said they were used sparingly and that they had not been abandoned completely for use in operations.
A senior CRPF official in Raipur said the patrol squad had launched the search/area domination operation from Kistaram towards Palodi, located around 500km from here, in view of the visit of Sukma Superintendent of Police Abhishek Meena in Palodi on Monday.
The blast is suspected to have been triggered by Maoists by joining wires from a distance when the MPV crossed over the improvised explosive devices, officials said.
They said the Maoist cadre led by elusive Naxal commander Hidma and his PLGA (Peoples Liberation Guerrilla Army) battalion no 1 could be behind the deadly attack.
Sukma, considered one of the worst insurgency-hit regions of the state, has witnessed several attacks on security forces in the past, particularly in summer season during which rebels carry out an annual tactical counter offensive campaign (TCOC).
There were reports that the TCOC was launched by the Naxals early this year, from late February as compared to March-end, the official said.
Soon after the incident, reinforcements were rushed to the spot, around 500km from state capital Raipur, officials said, adding further details were awaited.
Those killed have been identified as Assistant Sub Inspector R K S Tomar, Head Constable Laxman and constables Ajay K Yadav, Manoranjan Lanka, Jitendra Singh, Shobhit Sharma, Manoj Singh, Dharmendra Singh and Chandra H S. The injured are Madan Kumar and Rajesh Kumar.
Twelve personnel of the force were killed on March 11 last year in the Bheji area of the district and their arms looted, when Naxals ambushed their patrol party.
A few days later on April 24, 25 personnel of the paramilitary were killed in a similar ambush in Sukma.